Sunday, May 22

:: A Few Favorite Things ::


Thanks again for coming to Pepper Place and supporting Olivia Charles. We had a great turn out on Saturday and made lots of sales. We have the kids to thank for a lot of those sales! They couldn't resist plopping down in the youth adirondack chairs as they walked by. One grandfather of a little boy who came back three times said he had to buy one just to get him to leave! Guess we should have paid that little guy a commission. We left one great table behind at Charlie Thigpen's Garden Gallery, so stop by and take a look if you're needing an outdoor table. We'll be adding some benches for it this weekend and have decided to do Pepper Place one more Saturday, so we'll be back this weekend from 7-12 if you want to stop by.

I've recently found a few items that make me smile without spending a fortune and wanted to pass them along to you.



Most of you who know me well, know that I am love Pureology Shampoo and Conditioner. My sweet sister Caroline is a hair stylist and can get it at a good discount for me, so I always ask her to get it for me. But even with her discount it's not exactly "cheap" so I'm always on the hunt for a less expensive alternative (because let's face it-with the thickness and length of my hair, I have to use half of a bottle in one shampooing!) Recently I found and fell in love with Simply U Shampoo and Conditioner at Walmart (of all places!). It has a great pump bottle and is only $3-4 dollars/each and sulfate and paraben free! It's my new every day ritual (but I still reserve my beloved Pureology for special occassions!)







I've fallen in love with collecting jars and bottles since starting Olivia Charles Antiques and although this cool, blue bottle is not old, it is reminiscent of my favorite blue "Bell" jars and has become a favorite. I bought it at Home Goods for about $6. I've been keeping citrus water in it and there is something that makes me happy about the simple everyday "luxury" of pulling out the pretty bottle and pouring a glass on a hot summer day. It will make a great flower vase, too.










At Home in Homewood has these amazing pottery vases right now in this taupe color, mustard yellow and ice blue (I spent way too much time deciding between the mustard and taupe!!). There are all different shapes and sizes and some that almost look ruffled. I was shocked when the vase I bought was only $9!! And Publix has these really pretty mixed Sunflower bouquets for $9.99 right now that are so happy. It's not every day that I see a mixed bouquet that I actually like, so I was pretty excited about this one. The next time I'm in Homewood I'm going to go and buy a few vases to keep on hand for hostess gifts, birthdays, etc. I can always pick flowers up at the grocery store when I'm shopping, but running to Homewood is not always in the cards for me, and it will be nice to have a quick, but thoughtful gift in a time pinch.



Last night we attended the pre-opening dinner at Frio en La Paz (Chill in La Paz) at the Vestavia City Center (in the old Nonna Rose space). Cannon and his partners are very excited about their modern take on the classic family favorite and the food was delicious. We had a great time seeing friends and tasting all the yummies. I ordered the summer squash burrito and it was DIVINE. I am truly a meat-eating girl, so this was a departure from the normal for me, but I was surprised at how filling and delicious it was. It had yummy goat cheese inside and a house-made sauce drizzled on top. The official opening of Frio is tomorrow (Monday, May 23rd) so stop by this week and check it out. You won't be disappointed!!

When we walked in last night from having a fun night with friends at Frio, it hit us like a ton of bricks again stepping into the house. The immediate guilt of smiling and laughing that night, the longing for Olivia to be in her crib sound asleep, the realization that our life is not normal, even though we were able to go out and be normal for a few hours. As I was getting into bed I read this passage from "Whispered Words of Encouragement:"

King David quoted Jesus as saying: "I know the Lord is always with me. He is helping me. God's mighty power supports me. No wonder my heart is filled with joy and my tongue shouts His praises! For I know all will be well with me in death." Acts 2:25-26 (TLB)

I take solace today in knowing that all is well with Olivia in heaven and it is only us, the ones left here on earth, that are suffering and mourning her presence here with us and look forward to the day when "all will be well" with us, too.

2 comments:

  1. Kristin, I haven't read any blogs in WAY too long, and I couldnt' wait to catch up on yours! You are so talented! I love what you are doing with your booth, and it seems like you LOVE it! Reading the 10 things you miss most about Olivia made me ache for you and wishing that you could see each of those things one more time. Love and miss you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the At Home vase- makes me miss living in B'ham!
    I am happy for your few hours of being normal people. Don't feel guilty for it.
    Hope you are having a good Monday. Praying for you girl!

    ReplyDelete