Friday, April 20

:: Nursery & Master Re-Design, Part 1 ::



We're so excited about our new baby boy!  Plans for his nursery are in full-swing.  I finally decided I was tired of obsessing over whether this fabric and paint combo was "it" and just pulled the trigger this week.  Not pictured are the wall and breadboard colors, but they'll be BM Silent Night (on the walls) and BM Rock Gray on the trim band we're doing around the tops of the doors and window frames and also on the antique Olivia Charles bead board we're installing above them on the wall.  The ceiling will be BM Oregano (pictured).  One of our OCA piece of furniture has black, green, white and brown and I think it's going to work as the changing table so I can pull some black into this design too.  Maybe for the floor rug - a black and white chevron or something along those lines.

The leaf fabric will be a crib skirt (got the great idea for only making it 3-sided since it will be up aganist a wall and for making it with tie tabs so I can adjust it to floor level as we adjust the crib mattress on Erika's amazing blog, Urban Grace.  My sister-in-law's glider (which is thankfully much smaller than ours) will be partially (bc that's all my budget can handle) covered in the green and gray velvet stripe (my favorite fabric).  The geometric will be a changing pad cover a small round pouf.

I'm getting pretty excited about it all coming together and me finally getting the ball rolling on everything.  I'll post more pictures as the room comes together.





 And because why take on one project when you can take on two?  We're also re-designing our master bedroom.  Well, I shouldn't call it a re-design because really it was never "designed" in the first place.  It is just a hodgepodge of hand-me-down furniture (some of which we still love and will keep for both sentimental and aesthetic reasons). Why is it we always seem to design every other space in our homes before the master bedroom?  I know I'm not the only one.  It's the place we go to quietly retreat and reconnect - why shouldn't it be a place filled with fabrics, personal momentos and paint colors that make us smile?


The medallion fabric will be euros and a throw backed in the small blue cheetah print.  The yellow octagon velvet will be a DIY headboard.  The yellow streaming dots will be large bolsters, and the solid linen will be a bedskirt with the blue greek key trim.

So after 9 years of marriage, we are finally going to freshen our room up.  We are adding a bookcase "headboard."  I saw this in Southern Living years ago and loved it, then got to see it recreated beautifully in my friend Mandy's home.  So now we're putting our own spin on the bookcase by adding a cabinet on the bottom for some concealed storage and a place to lay our books at night.  Here's the inspiration picture from Pinterest:



The room itself will be lightened up with some neutral tan walls and I'm thinking the backs of the bookcases will be painted the dark peacock blue color.  I may get brave and paint the ceiling the greenish yellow and the bathroom will be the lighter blue.

We've had electrical run for two pendants to hang from the ceiling on the left and right sides of the bed in place of lamps.  We saw this in a hotel we stayed in once and loved the idea.  I got these cool fixtures for my anniversary present last week:



I can't wait to see all of this come together.  The bookcases will be installed next week (yay!) and then the painting won't be far behind.  I'll post pictures of progress.

And changing gears - a prayer request.  This week I learned of a 11-year-old little girl in our community who has been diagnosed with osteosarcoma, which is a form of bone cancer.  The treatment is very intensive and most of her extended family lives far away in Ohio.  They are coming in shifts to help out mom Christina, dad Trey, and baby brother (1 year!) Elijah and my moms bible study is taking them meals.  In addition, yesterday I mailed them a Olivia Charles Foundation prayer pager.  Please pray for Ally and her family and then dial 334-705-9213.  Thank you!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment