Thursday, September 15

:: Moving Day Ahead ::



So for weeks I have been staring at paint chips, light fixtures, color wheels, wallpaper samples, and furniture I already own trying to figure out the puzzle of a new house-will this fit there, and if it does, will it look good and allow enough of a walkway?
I want chalkboard paint, but I don't want black or green, I want Britannia Blue. Thank goodness for the Benjamin Moore man who knows anything and everything about paint and is special ordering me something that can be tinted and used as a chalkboard paint even though that's not technically what it's made for!
These are the colors I finally went with for my kitchen cabinets-the darker blue/gray color on the island and bottom cabinets and the lighter color on the top cabinets and window trim. The gold thing is for the art deco light fixtures above the sink, and I got a great deal on some fabulous Restoration Hardware cabinet pulls-in case anyone is interested, they have 50% off most of their antique brass hardware right now.
I went with the Duluth pulls (only mine are in 6" instead of the 3" pictured here) and am installing them vertically on the doors and horizontally on the drawers. I am so excited about seeing it all come together.
Another thing I'm really excited about are the silhouettes I had cut from lepapierstudio.com. In the past I used these silhouettes for stationery and calling cards, but this time I am having them cut white wall decals silhouettes with names underneath to put in the mudroom area between the mudroom bench and shelf/hooks to mark each person's spot. I have one of Parrish water skiing that is my favorite but don't have a jpg of it to post here. I will have to post pictures of this project when it's all done at the new house.

Our moving day is next Thursday, Sept 22nd! So in addition to staring at design stuff, I've been staring at boxes all over the house as well. It really hasn't been bad packing since we were already half way done from the previous would-have-been "move." Nothing like living off paper plates and plastic "weekend waterford" glasses for 2 months! I would go to the grocery store and get ingredients to cook something only to realize I didn't have the right pot or pan, so I've had to be very inventive. It really is amazing how little you need to survive-this might just prompt me to get rid of a lot of my kitchen stuff in an effort to live more simply in a smaller kitchen.

We have already tackled the very sad task of packing Olivia's nursery. As usual, for me the anticipation of the task was actually worse than the task itself. I spent the day before in her rocker, listening to her aquarium and of course balling my eyes out. As we were packing, Cannon reminded me that we are taking her with us. She will always be wherever we are. She's not in this house. She is in our hearts. It is only with this knowledge that we can make this move. Olivia will have a room in our new house with her rocker where I can go and think about her, miss her and listen to her favorite aquarium music.
These last days and weeks of packing I have become increasingly more thankful for family and friends. Britney kept Parrish for me while we were packing Olivia's room and it was such a weight off my shoulders to know we could take our time and know that he was happy and safe playing with his buddy Kaden. Terri kept him for me while I went to a long doctor's appointment this week. Then last night I read this verse:

No one has seen God. But if we love each other, God lives in us, and his love is brought to full expression in us. 1 John 4:12 (NLT)

I see God in the people He has sent to love on us and help us during this sad time.

Thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress. Psalm 4:1 (KJV)

This verse rings so true. He has enlarged our souls and our eternal perspective through this trial. In knowing him more fully I have a greater understanding of the vastness that separates us because of sin and am keenly aware of the cross we've been given to carry-a cross so difficult that most days it seems impossible. If not for the support of friends and family and the love of God, it would be impossible.

So with this thought I'm off to play Zingo! with Parrish on this rainy, lazy day.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment