Wednesday, January 22

:: A Room to Grow In ::


I finally got around to visiting a client in Vestavia to take some pictures of this finished space and it is gorgeous!  It says a lot when my seven-year-old little boy looks over my shoulder as I'm uploading these pictures and exclaims, "Whose room is that?!?  It's awesome!  I wish I had a room like that!"  Enough said.  Every little boy's dream room come to life!

My client's husband had the great idea to carve out the bunk-like niches into the wall when they were remodeling their house.  We propped an Olivia Charles Antiques ladder up against the wall for easy access and I commissioned an etsy shop owner to make the bottom bunk curtain out of vintage nautical flags and a vintage military tent.  (She also makes great pillows!  Check out her "Cove Cabin" shop here.)
My client picked an awesome rug from Dash and Albert (one of my favorite companies for rugs, especially for children's rooms!) and got the burlap storage bins from The Good Life in Vestavia.


She already had the awesome framed Auburn jerseys - one for each of her boys - and the gorgeous antique twin beds, so before I got there she was already off to a great start!
The wooden Whale with the aged nautical scene was something I loved on etsy months ago.  I was excited to have a project to use it.  Similar items can be found in "Edie's Lab" here.
The striped blue and white fabric we used on both the bolster pillows at the end of the beds AND as backing for the antique fishing lures we grouped above the boys' dresser is reminiscent of menswear - think button-up shirts - and I love the nod it gives to becoming a big boy while still retaining the youthful fun of a bold pattern.  If you ever have remnant fabric, I highly recommend this unique use of your scraps.  It adds pattern, depth, and an element of the unexpected to your walls.
The room has a fun alcove where we added a custom Olivia Charles Antiques storage bench so the boys can read and mom has another place to store toys and necessities when they're not in use.

We wanted each boy to have a special sense of belonging in their room, so we chose an oversize monogram on a standard pillow sham to help them lay claim to their individual beds.



The reclaimed wooden ceiling and antler chandelier are stunning and were already there when we started this project.  I love the way the wood brings the height of the tall ceiling down and the chandelier just screams "boy."

The antler pillows on the window seat were made from Lee Jofa's "antlers" fabric in rust. And the box pleated valance was designed to coordinate with the drapes on the other side of the room and hung where the ceiling meets the wall above the window so no natural light was blocked, the window seems even taller, and the backside of the valance can't be seen when looking at the front of the home from the outside.
What little boy wouldn't love to climb that ladder to a secret hide away??

I found the antique dresser in this picture for a steal at an estate sale.  With a little elbow grease it cleaned up nicely and looks very stately, if I do say so myself!


One of my favorite parts of the room is the art rail that I created from the left-over rod in the double curtain rod pack used to hang the drapes and oar above the beds.  All I did was add twig ball finials to the end and purchase x-small umbra curtain brackets at Bed, Bath, and Beyond to hang it from the wall.
Another etsy find, the precious and coloful animal prints were personalized for each boy's first and middle initials.  "C" is for Clay, "H" is for Harris, "M" is for Miller, etc.  The images are playful but have a feeling of age which just fits right in with the overall feel of this space.
Here is an image of the small clips I used to hang the boys' artwork.  These were actually left overs from the double curtain rod pack too.  However, you can easily do this same thing using mini curtain rings with attached clips, which can also be found at B,B and B.

The military curtain was personalized with the client's last name using an old WWII metal stencil and off white paint.  I love the authenticity it gives the vintage materials.
Folded at the end of each bed is a "Badlands Park" Pendleton blanket.  I love these blankets for boys' rooms...each one in this series carries the name of a different state park as well as a unique design.  They are at once rustic and refined, little boy and grown-up.  See all the choices here.
The narrow space between the beds was the perfect spot for our Olivia Charles Antiques bedside table bookcase.  These can be made in any color and size.  Email info@oliviacharlesantiques.com for information.

The vintage wooden moose dress up the window trim and playfully peak through the drapes when they are closed.

My favorite part about the window treatments is the jute "fringe" trim we used to frame the fabric band.  In my opinion, if you are going to pay for custom window treatments they should look just that...custom.  Using trims and tapes is a simple and easy way to create something truly unique.  If you don't have the money for custom drapes from scratch, adding embellishments in the form of trim or tapes or fabric bands is an inexpensive alternative that will give you a similar high-end and custom look.

The reclaimed barn wood storage bench is also by Olivia Charles Antiques.  4" foam was cut to size and covered with a coordinating tweed fabric.  The client's son slept on this window seat the first night it was in the room, so I think it's safe to say the boys love it as much as mommy does!

I am in love with the tobacco-leaf frames we used for the fishing lures.  I think they scream "Southern gentleman" and the texture and rich color go beautifully on the light walls.

For those of you wondering how we managed to hang the oar in front of the drapes, here is a close-up of the double curtain rod we used.  By purchasing a double bracket with screws we were able to secure the oar tightly, which was important when you consider the number of boys that will be playing in this room!  :) 

With the left over trim we created double-sided pillows using both the cushion fabric and the bolster fabric and used the fringe along the seam.  Don't limit yourself to one-sided and one-look pillows.  Coordinating fabrics can be used on either side, giving you the freedom to change-up your look.
This was such a fun room to work on.  I absolutely love designing for little boys, and I love that my client wanted a room that would work for her boys well into their teenage years....I think we definitely achieved a room they can grow in!

No comments:

Post a Comment