Sunday, June 24

:: Blueberry Salsa & A Biking Boy ::

We've been getting lots of blueberries in our CSA box each week, so I am posting this yummy recipe I found in an old Southern Living magazine while waiting for my doctor's appointment last week.  I wondered about the flavor combo, but it turns out to be just the right amount of both salty and sweet.



Blueberry Salsa
(from July 2010 Southern Living Magazine-photo courtesy of Southern Living)


  • 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh blueberries
  • 1 cup whole fresh blueberries
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
  • 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Toss together coarsely chopped fresh blueberries, whole fresh blueberries, fresh lemon juice, chopped fresh cilantro, seeded and minced jalapeño peppers, diced red bell pepper, and kosher salt in a large bowl. Serve immediately, or cover and chill 8 hours.
  • I served this with plain pita chips and toasted french rounds.  It would also be good with tortilla chips.  I halved the recipe because I only had one pint of blueberries and it turned out fine.  This salsa is also delicious over grilled fish.
  •  
  • I mentioned in my last post about some struggles I have been dealing with lately, and it is true that every day DOES have it's highs and lows.  Being busy helps.  Keeping my focus on Jesus and his little mercies along the way helps.  And having Parrish is KEY.  So many of my small joys are directly because of him and because of Cannon.  

  • Yesterday one of those highs was the pure, simple, joy and pride of watching Mr. P learn to ride his bike without training wheels.  We were at the pool in the late afternoon and decided on a whim to go by the field at the park to let Parrish try riding his bike without training wheels.

  • I had been noting his good balance for a few months.  We used to play a game when he was riding his bike with training wheels where he would try not to let the wheels make any noise (aka balancing).  He could go one or two blocks without a sound so I figured he was probably ready.  We had tried once without training wheels about a year ago and it scared him so badly that I was hesitant to take them off again, but I am glad that we did.  He literally took off on the first run and hasn't stopped since.  

  • After church today we headed to Academy to buy him a kick stand.  He was so proud.  He just kept saying, "I can't believe I did it on the first try!"  He's even self-starting and in true Parrish form is already finding hills to ride down.  He says the slope gives him an easy start.  Oh my.  Just praying for no broken limbs.

  • So last night was pure joy watching him master a new skill.  Looking at his smile was like staring into the sun.  Way to go, Parrish!!



No comments:

Post a Comment