Monday, October 3

:: Birthday Boy & Babysitting ::

Cannon turns 34 tomorrow so over the weekend I organized a skeet shoot for him and his buddies at Selwood. Afterward we met at the Prickett's river cabin for football watching and dinner. It was so much fun being at the cabin. CC has been busy decorating it and it is full of charm. Exactly what you'd expect from a cute, little get away in the country. I'm pretty sure our friends would each buy a parcel of the land and build a cottage if Jack would let them.
We had a bonfire sans the chimenia - sorry, CC! Guess that spot in the grass is going to be there permanently. My pyro-maniac husband picked the perfect spot. Next time we're there we're going to at least have to put some rocks around the ring of fire!
Me & the birthday boy!
After dinner the guys put on a pretty spectacular fireworks show courtesy of Grandaddy Jack. He stopped on the way up from Florida and got some AMAZING fireworks. I'm thinking 4th of July at the cabin is going to be lots of fun in the years to come.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the percolator vs. drip pot discussion we all had. It is a family joke that I don't like the percolated coffee the Pricketts make because there are always grounds in the bottom of my cup. Well, wouldn't you just know that all of our friends oooo'd and ahhhh'd over that percolated coffee? So of course I had to tell them about the grounds and Jenn snapped a picture for documentation. Guess it's just a matter of preference, huh? :)
Cannon blew out the candle on his camo cake that Parrish and I made. I love that in this neighborhood you can walk down to Jimbo's grocery store and buy a cake mix, pull out some red and green icing left over from Christmas and voila! an instant bday cake without ever having to leave the hood!
This morning Parrish and I got the distinct pleasure of babysitting Miss Anna Michael. Her mommy (my friend Leslie) had to take her older sister to a tv appearance so we got to take her to MDO. Parrish woke up this morning talking about having her over. He was worried that we didn't have any girl toys-lucky for us, if it was shiny, made noise, or could be chewed on, she was very content! I told Leslie if she knew just how excited we were to have a baby in the house she might not have left her. We would seriously adopt (steal) her in a minute! It was good to have my arms filled with a baby girl. It reminded me of how great Parrish was with Livy and how much he misses having a sister in the house. He has been through so much. I feel like he's been struggling with lots of emotions lately-anger, sadness, jealousy, etc. I don't know if it's just regular 4-year-old stuff or if all the change and trauma in his life over the past year is finally being displayed with some good old-fashioned defiance. I try to be sensitive and remember all that has happened to him over the last year. I remind myself that he is becoming his own little man and struggling with authority and discipline is just a part of that. Please pray for us as we shepherd his little heart. Pray that it won't become hardened. Pray that we can, "train him up in the way he should go; so when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6 This is not easy-we are dealing with so many ups and downs on a daily basis that sometimes just to hold ourselves together and survive is all we can do. Only the Lord can give us the strength and patience and endurance we need to run this race set before us. And we are humbly, fully, completely dependant on His mercy and grace.

I've just mailed out 5 (yes, 5!) more pagers. I will blog the individual numbers and prayer needs soon so you can pray and page. Thank you for helping us in this ministry.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment