Thursday, October 13

:: Halloween Goop! ::


A lot of the fun of this time of year for us is doing fun, kid-friendly and holiday-themed projects. As I was perusing pinterest for free Halloween printables I somehow stumbled across a cute blog with the recipe for "slime", or what Parrish and I call "Goop". Knowing this would be right up his alley, I hatched a plan to make lots of the slimy stuff for his preschool classmate's Halloween happy and yesterday we gave it a whirl.
There are only a few ingredients:
-1 tsp Borax (you can find this in the laundry detergent aisle of your grocery store)
-4 oz (one small container) ELMER'S glue (don't try to cheat like I did and buy the cheap stuff from Wal-Mart...I promise it won't work every time if you do!)
-1 1/2 cup water, divided
-Food coloring in your choice of color (we used neon to make the colors super-scary)

You'll also need two small mixing bowls and two separate spoons.

Here's what you do:



Step 1: Mix together 1 tsp Borax powder with 1 cup of the water and stir until well disolved.
Step 2: In a separate bowl, mix together 4 oz Elmer's school glue (you can use the clear or white, but I think the color is prettier with the white) and 1/2 cup water. Stir until smooth, then add food coloring to desired color. We found that with the cheap glue we had to use blue or purple only-the green and orange for some reason wouldn't turn out, so we finally bought some Elmer's glue and any color would work.
Step 3: Stir the food coloring into the glue and water mixture until well combined.
Step 4: Pour the Borax mixture into the glue mixture and watch the magic while you stir! You'll immediately see it start forming a solid, gooey mass.
Step 5: When you can stretch it with the spoon, gather the blob in your hands and drain the remaining liquid from the bowl.

Step 6: Return the blob to the bowl and let your littles smush, smash, squeeze, and stretch until their heart's content.

Step 7: Store in an air-tight container indefinitely.

We did several batches (I found that I could get two decent portions from one batch) and placed them into small ball jars. I printed some free Halloween stickers from The Twinery here, and stuck them to the jars and then tied them with super scary (and kinda cute) skull & crossbones ribbon. We'll send these in for each of Parrish's classmates at their Halloween party. I think I'll print out the recipe for the goop and send it in as well.

Parrish really, really LOVED this project. I would have loved it a lot more if I had bought Elmer's glue from the beginning and didn't have so many failures! :) Learn from my mistake and start with the good stuff.

Have fun!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment