Thursday, January 10

:: Kitchen Design & Preston's Prayer Pager ::


A few months ago I worked with my friend Mandy to select paint colors, lighting, and design elements for her kitchen remodel and it turned out so fantastic, I had to share some before and afters below...

Before (see below) her kitchen was divided into three parts - kitchen, eat-in breakfast area, and keeping room.  By moving the keeping room area to the front of the house and taking over the breakfast nook as part of the kitchen, Mandy was able to utilize valuable space and make her kitchen feel three times bigger.  The cabinetry was designed and custom made by Oak Mountain Cabinetry and all lighting is by Circa Lighting.  The dining table specifically features two Thomas O'Brien "Hicks" Pendants.



Mandy wanted to lighten things up and get away from the more earthy tones of her original kitchen, so we selected cool colors for her new kitchen.  Benjamin Moore Glacier White went on the walls and ceiling, because it is a good, crisp white without a lot of yellow undertones; the cabinets were painted Benjamin Moore Deep Silver, which is a deep, slate gray I am in love with.  

We decided to install double arm sconces on either side of her downdraft hood for added interest and task lighting, and I love they are unexpected, yet functional.


Because her formal dining room would now be part of her new kitchen, Mandy worked with Oak Mtn Cabinetry to design a built-in china cabinet that is sheer genius! 


Here's a before and after side-by-side.  The transformation is incredible!  


A "mommy" work desk was built-in next to the china cabinet and provides a convenient place for Mandy to stay organized. 


Free floating shelves, painted to match the cabinetry display family pictures, baking goods and a pretty collection of bowls.
The beautiful "hicks" pendants up close and personal...
The chalkboard was an antique store find by Mandy's husband.  This Christmas we went to a party at their house and Mandy had written a Christmas message on it... "Wise Men Still Seek Him."  I love that!
Below is the before and after of her living room space we selected paint for...



We re-vamped the couch by having one solid back cushion custom-made to replace the 2 traditional cushions that came with the sofa, recovered the two bottom cushions, and added two round bolsters.  My favorite detail is the large "W" monogram on the back.

Instead of getting a new tv cabinet we decided to paint her old one her new trim color and now it looks like it is a built-in piece!
I couldn't resist including this one of Mandy's oldest enjoying the new keeping room on his bean bag...
Or this one of her youngest enjoying his afternoon snack at the new kitchen table...

I think it's safe to say the whole family is enjoying the new selections!  Email me at info@oliviacharlesantiques.com if I can help you with paint, lighting, or design selections in your home and stay tuned for more before and afters of a the projects I currently have in the works! 

And I couldn't leave out a few snapshots of Parrish's first basketball game on Saturday.  I was truly expecting less of a game and more of a free-for-all when I walked into the gym that day.  Basketball is a hard skill to master, in my humble opinion, and I expected that 5-7 year olds, some of which had just learned to dribble, would be less than stellar, but let me just tell you....that was a full-fledged basketball game!  So entertaining and fun to watch!  Go Mavericks!  :)




As you can see Knox also thoroughly enjoyed the game...

And later that day on his way to hunt with his daddy, exhaustion from the game finally took it's toll on Parrish.  

I want to close with a prayer request...many of you have been following Preston's story and recovery on Facebook via his "Prayers for Preston" page and I wanted to let you know that we sent his family a prayer pager from Olivia's Foundation.  The number is 334-705-9227.  Please continue to keep Preston and his family in your prayers and then page them by dialing this number and then following the brief voice prompts.  Our prayer is that the pager will be a comfort to them during this time....as it was to us.

We are in the process of getting a pager to the family of sweet Anne Reese Grote as well and will post that number as soon as it is delivered.

As usual, when my attention is brought to new pain and suffering in this world, I wonder how on earth I went 30 years without really grasping the depth of the sadness that is all around me.  I suppose part of it is just getting older and being more aware, but being touched by tragedy opens your eyes to the brevity of your life and awakes in you a desire to make your life count.  As we anticipate what would have been Olivia's 3rd birthday at the end of this month, I am amazed at what all she accomplished for the Kingdom in her 9 short months on earth.  We miss you and are so proud of you, baby girl!  

"Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.  Remind me that my days are numbered--how fleeting my life is.  You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand.  My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath....And so, Lord, where do I put my hope?  My only hope is in you."  Psalm 39:4-5, 7

No comments:

Post a Comment